Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Thing # 2 - Image Generators 2

Wordle is really fun! I think that my students could find a lot of creative use for it - especially with a piece of literature we are reading. They could pull descriptive words for a character, quotes, all kinds of stuff. It would make it more interactive for the kids to do something like this online.
http://www.wordle.net/gallery/wrdl/930357/life

Glogster - equally as fun to play around with.
Again, this would work very well for a piece of literature - maybe it could be our project for the summer reading activity! I would guess that students could be a lot more creative using this in lieu of a posterboard. The possibilities are absolutely endless as is the creativity. Many students feel inadequate when we ask them to draw something because they are not good artists - this puts everyone on equal turf. As far as the thinking being different, I feel that it would open the door for more opportunity to think outside of the box.
I came across this one and thought it was pretty neat:
http://horse14rider.glogster.com/Body-Peace-Treaty-Seventeen-Mag/

Voki - way entertaining - a little weird though! I played around with the applications and did the Trek Yourself. I think that if someone received this through email it would definitely send a different message than text alone.
http://www.trekyourself.com/?mId=30307340.3

Bookr - this is by far my personal favorite! What a neat way to store photos and tell a story - I have tried keeping up with my kids scrapbooks, but this would be so much easier. I'm not sure how I would use it in the classroom, unless I had the kids narrate a story. Maybe after writing their personal narrative, they could use pictures to narrate it. That would be kind of interesting, but I'm not real sure - I'd love to get other people's ideas on how to use it in a high school English classroom.

1 comment:

VWB said...

Bookr- narrate a story as you said, work with vocabulary, visually represent a theme or maybe even a setting...I think poetry would be a good activity.

How about making one and posting here for us to see?

It is good you included the links but most of these things can also be upload to the blog...some have direct uplod to Blogger buttons.