Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Thing # 1 - The Networked Student

I think that although many teachers are outsmarted by the students advancement in technology, this clearly demonstrates that education through alternative methods is growing. I would love to become more tech savvy to be able to keep up with the interests of my students and to be able to reach them at their interest level. There are so many fascinating tools that are within our reach if we can just figure them out! I personally struggle with it. Just watching the video was a nightmare - it kept buffering; which finally after searching to see what exactly that meant, I was able to pause the video and let it load and eventually get through it. I'm sure one of my students would have had some code to bypass that!

I think that the teacher is showing the use of being a facilitator, which is what teachers are supposed to be. I see many benefits of this because it directly puts the learning back into the student's hands and gives him/her more ownership over their own learning.

1 comment:

nancym said...

I felt the same way and I feel that I'm way ahead of some of my teaching peers in the area of technology. If I had the skill, knowledge, strategies and equipment to teach that way it would be awesome. My goals every year include more technology and I think I meet that goal but still feel like I running to catch up! And yes the kids are leading the race!