Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Thing # 15 - Web 2.0, Library 2.0 and the Future of Libraries

The video made me sad...but it also was the same way that I felt in college. The difference, I was in my last year when the internet and cellphones began to become popular and more advantageous. So, I cannot identify with having a laptop in class and searching Facebook or MySpace. I probably would have failed out of college if I'd had access to those things. Sadly, I know that library use is different then what it was even just 10 years ago...when I take my students to the library it is usually to use the computer to search for information. Few kids want to take the time to search a book for information.

I don't know how I feel about this. I think it unfortunately and fortunately is the direction that we are headed in, but the thing I don't like about computers is it takes away the personal connection. I don't want to go off on any random tangents here, this just really got my mind working, thinking about how much technology is going to change our daily interactions with students. I think we have just seen the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.

2 comments:

Barry said...

Don't feel too sad. In most cases (Public and School Libraries) the use of modern technology actually increases the use of books. The key is to have a welcoming and modern Library where students feel respected and honored. The acknowledgement of the technology which they use gives them a positive feeling about the Library.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Barry

bookeatersclub said...

We are all trying very hard to blend the new technology with the traditional aspects of libraries that most users still love and enjoy.